Make this 4th of July the best one yet and spend the entire day on the Wilmington Riverfront. Enjoy live music, delicious food, and a spectacular fireworks display! Check out the celebratory events below. We have all the details-from where to celebrate to avoiding the traffic!
The city's Fourth of July celebration kicks off at Tubman-Garrett Riverfront Park at 12:30 p.m. with local bands, food vendors, children's games, tours of the Kalmar Nyckel, and other family-themed activities. Below is the Tubman-Garrett Riverfront Park schedule:
- 12:30 - 8:00 p.m. The public is invited to bring a blanket, chair, lawn games, and your own picnic.
- 12:30 - 5:00 p.m. Kalmar Nyckel Tours
- 8:00 - 9:15 p.m. The Delaware Symphony Orchestra performs a celebratory concert of American music.
- 9:30 p.m. The July 4th Freedom Celebration Fireworks Show will conclude the evening.
Other events will take place along the Riverfront throughout the day brought to you by the Riverfront Development Corporation, including Riverboat Queen and River Taxi cruises and live music at Constitution Yards.
- 5:00 - 9:30 p.m. Live Music from Country By Night at Constitution Yards Beer Garden
Several road closures will be in effect for the City's Fourth of July celebration. Major crowds are expected and it is recommended that those wishing to view the fireworks arrive at the Riverfront no later than 8:00 p.m. to ensure an enjoyable experience.
Street closures and traffic advisories for the event are below. All roads will be re-opened at the conclusion of the fireworks show.
- Rosa Parks Drive between Market and French Streets at Tubman-Garrett Park will be closed beginning at 4:00 p.m. on Tuesday, July 3.
- The Market Street Bridge will be closed to pedestrian and motorized traffic from Water Street through to A Street from 8:00 p.m. until 10:30 p.m.
- A Street from Market to Walnut Streets will be closed beginning at 8:30 p.m.
- All roads exiting from Martin Luther King Boulevard into the Riverfront area, including South Madison Street, Tatnall Street, Market Street, Orange Street, West Street, and Walnut Street will be closed beginning at 8:30 p.m. in preparation for the fireworks show.
- Traffic leaving the Shipyard Shops or Riverfront restaurants area by way of Madison Street at the end of the evening will be directed to exit along Stadium Drive and onto Beech Street and out Justison Street.
More information can be found on the City of Wilmington's website.